Sotheby’s Magnificent Jewels and Jadeite auction in Hong Kong rocked the diamond world Monday with records set and colour diamonds wildly exceeding pre-auction estimates.
Pink diamonds continued their upward trend as all six pieces on the docket sold for above what industry experts had originally predicted.
1. The centrepiece is a brilliant-cut light pink diamond weighing 4.02 carats surrounded by oval and tapered baguette diamonds weighing approximately 1.40 carats and mounted on a platinum ring. Pre-auction estimate $141,365 — 169,638 (CAD) Lot Sold $209,220 (CAD)
2. A pair of earrings featuring three small colour diamonds(pink, blue & yellow) weighing a total of 0.68 carats on each leading to a pear-shaped very light pink and light pink diamond weighing 1.14 and 0.91 carats respectively. The earrings are mounted in platinum, 18 karat white and pink gold. Pre-Auction Estimate $42,409 — $49,478 Lot Sold $67,148
3. A ring with an oval light pink diamond weighing 6.27 carats, framed by circular-cut pink diamonds which are then surrounded by oval diamonds. These surrounding diamonds weigh in at approximately 4.70 carats, mounted in 18 karat white and pink gold. Pre-Auction Estimate $607,868 — $678,550 Lot Sold $955,625
4. A heart-shaped light pink diamond weighing 4.03 carats, framed by circular-cut diamonds extending to the shoulders. The piece itself is mounted in 18 karat white and pink gold. Pre-Auction Estimate $98,955 — $120,160 Lot Sold $243,147
5. A necklace featuring alternating pink diamond and diamond-set floral links with an emerald-cut diamond decorated by a pear-shaped frame suspended at the front. It also includes a pair of matching pendent earrings, the entire set features approximately 12.20 carats of diamonds and all are mounted in 18 karat white and yellow gold. Pre-Auction Estimate $33,928 — $42,409 Lot Sold $70,682
6. An emerald-cut fancy yellow diamond weighing 1.72 carats, surrounded by circular-cut pink diamonds together weighing approximately 1.30 carats. The ring is mounted in 18 karat pink gold. Pre-Auction Estimate $16,964 — $19,791 Lot Sold $21,205